Friday, January 9, 2009

Holidays are Over, Yipeeeee

Ok I know this is not a popular or nice thing to say but I really do not enjoy the holidays as much as I think I should. I saw a Dr. Phil show and it was about Christmas grinches. I thought the grinches had some pretty good points. Like why is it at Christmas its demanded that family get together. I hear all kinds of marketing about how Christmas is about getting together with family. I don't mean to be a grinch but really........I thought Christmas was marking the birth of Christ. All the rules of our culture have made this event almost painful. For me, gift giving is not a joyous outpouring of love. It is a stressor to see who I do not offend. Who have I left out? Who is not happy with their gift? How have I broken the unwritten rules that my mom can create? I feel like I am on the defense. And not to gripe but I overindulge my own children to make up for their lack of extended family gifts. Stupid. Oh and guess what I do after Christmas? Return. I return things because I bought stupid stuff that got wrapped up so there was lots to open. Its just sick.
So there, I have confessed my weirdness. There were very few moments I thought really fit the Christmas season. Serving at church as a family. Spending Christmas eve with friends, Going to church on Christmas Eve. Hopefully next year I can do better with prioritizing consumerism vs. spiritual growth. I'd like to keep consumerism to the other 364 days of the year.

No comments: