Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Abandoning books!

I hate to abandon a book I start. I can feel like such a failure. I read reviews, take suggestions, go to the library and am so excited when I find a book I have wanted to read. I start it and it ends up being a huge disappointment. I have to give credit to my friend Kelli. As a teacher, she has been a huge encourager to read what you love and not to feel bad about putting a book down. So I am returning A Confederacy of Dunces to the libraray. I don't care about the characters and am not the least bit curious about what happens. So there. Now if anyone tells me I just have to finish it, that it will change my life, I might reconsider.

I am moving on to another book I find more interesting. A Walk In The Woods is by Bill Bryson who is a travel writer. He writes this book about hiking the Appalacian Trail. Having grown up near these mountains and spending some time in them around the Gatlinburg area, I am interested to hear what he thinks of hiking the mountains. I remember hiking a few times in Tennessee but nothing more than day trips. As I read his account, I can pretend its an adventure I am not too old to take on!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you're so funny....so, i have one for your list...the velveteen woman...about being real. only got the first few chapters read so far...but amazing...