Thursday, October 9, 2008

Prep

I just finished the book Prep. I bought it because it was cheap and looked like a book my old book club would have chosen. I loved that Arkansas book club. We had the best time when we first started many years ago and talked about food and Target. There were some who really enjoyed the reading and others who really needed to be around other adults. We had fun criteria for choosing a book- inexpensive, not too big and could pick it up at Sam's. Rarely did we actually order books from Barnes and Noble. I met and got to know women that I might not have met otherwise and certainly read things I would never have chosen myself. Sometimes it would take me a year or two to read the book (Lovely Bones) but I tried to read the books chosen.
Over the years, we spent a little more time talking about the books and got into some pretty heated discussions (A Million Little Pieces). We finally got our own Target so we didn't have to dream about it anymore. I have incredibly fond memories from that time in my life that include book club.

So back to the book. I had a hard time liking the character and really couldn't relate to much of her experience going to boarding school. Most of what she described happened maybe in college for me ( I guess I am that old). Certainly not my high school experiences at all. It frightens me for the kids going to high school now. They have so much more to deal with than I did. Does every generation say that?
I will remain in prayer through these years for my kids.

No comments: